Thursday, March 18, 2010

Protein Experiment: Tempeh

Tempeh, or tempe in Indonesian, is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form. (...) Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans, but tempeh is a whole soybean product with different nutritional characteristics and textural qualities. Tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamin. It has a firm texture and strong flavor. Because of its nutritional value, tempeh is used worldwide in vegetarian cuisine; some consider it to be a meat analogue.
(from Wikipedia)

Tonight was not my first experiment with tempeh. A month or two ago I made a shepherd's pie with tempeh from a recipe in the Veganomicon which was DELICIOUS, but since it was not my own recipe I didn't share it here. Today, however, I got brave and decided to make something up with tempeh, and the menfolk was in the mood for burritos, so that was the direction I took it. This did require bravery, because even though the package will tell you that tempeh is totally delicious plain (they say you can sprinkle it in salad!) this is completely untrue. I tried some straight out of the package, and it is AWFUL eaten plain. With the right seasoning, though, it has an excellent nutty flavor. The particular variety I purchased was a 3-grain tempeh, so it had other things in it besides soy (wheat, and something else, not sure what).

I know all of you are smart enough to know how to make a silly burrito, so I'm not going to bother with listing the tortillas and nonsense like that. Instead, I'll just share how I cooked the tempeh filling.

Tempeh Burrito Filling

1 8oz pkg of tempeh
1 tbsp olive oil
4-6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 cup frozen corn
1 cup vegetable broth
onion powder
chipotle chile powder
salt

Sautee the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the tempeh and cook another 5 minutes or so. Add tomato and vegetable broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 'til about 3/4 of the broth has reduced out. Add corn and seasonings, and continue cooking until remainder of broth has evaporated and all ingredients are heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment