Friday, April 2, 2010

Vegetarian Sympathizers

The inspiration for this post started when I was driving to work one morning, and a certain obnoxious radio host felt the need to point out that he "hate[s] vegetarians," because whenever he goes out to dinner with them they make him feel guilty. "There's just nothing I can eat here," is their complaint, and he find this frustrating; in addition, he states that he doesn't want to go to "one of those vegan places" and end up eating some kind of "yeast-ball."

Frankly, I was under the impression that the vast number of non-yeasty vegetarian restaurant options was well-known. Apparently, I have been proven incorrect. True, if you prefer the family-style American dining experience (ie Applebee's, Chilli's, or the like) you will find no meatless options whatsoever, and your veggie friend will be sighing their way through the meal. However, if you have even the slightest taste for the exotic (and I do mean the SLIGHTEST) you will be able to find a restaurant that can suit all tastes, be they herbivorous, omnivorous, or any other-vorous you can think of.

Suggestions:
Italian -- this is the simplest option, and therefore the most successful for the individual who is too cranky to cater to his/her vegetarian friend. I mean geez, even if it's just cheese pizza it's better than nothing.
Chinese -- see also Italian, though I do need to note you need to find a somewhat more "authentic" Chinese place, as many take-out joints don't offer tofu as a protein option. Vegetable lo mein is great, but one can only eat it so many times.
Thai -- this is just a TOUCH more exotic, but I find that almost anyone can find something they like at a Thai restaurant.
Indian/Vietnamese (I know these are not the same, but they have the same explanation. Please don't jump all over me; I know they're different!) -- some may consider this a bit more exotic than Thai, but the same rules apply.
Ethiopian -- if you're ready for a real adventure, Ethiopian food is EXCELLENT. They offer a full range, from beef, pork and chicken, to seafood and vegetarian entrees. You may not understand or be able to pronounce all the items, but even the close-your-eyes-and-point method will most likely yield something delicious.

So go now, and feed your veggie friends, and stop whining about it! You don't have to go to some hipster joint to find something delicious (trust me, I'm pretty opposed to hipster joints myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment