Monday, March 15, 2010

Living With Carnivores

In my case, it's just one carnivore, but I like to appease him sometimes with tasty dinners. As much as I'd like to just make piles of vegetables all the time, I do often make split meals, half with meat, and half without. The best way to do that without making yourself crazy is to make carbon-copies of your dish, just change out your proteins. Tonight, for example, I made sesame garlic tofu/steak with peas. All I did was get two pans, cook up the oil and garlic at the same time in each, and just tossed tofu in one and steak in the other. Voila. I know, not very exciting, but it works, and that's what's really important. I find often that I end up doing twice as many dishes because I live with a carnivore, but unfortunately I don't have a brilliant solution for that problem yet.

Just for fun (though I'm sure you're all smart enough to figure this out on your own) here's the recipe for tonight's dinner:

Sesame Garlic tofu/steak with peas.
(yields about 3-4 servings of tofu, 1 serving of steak)
-1 lb tofu
-1 serving steak (~6 oz? I'm not sure...)
-1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
-3 tbsp sesame oil
-3 tbsp minced garlic
-3 tsp sesame seeds
-salt, to taste
-soy sauce (optional)

Heat 2 tbsp oil in one large pan, 1 in small pan. Apply garlic in the same fashion. Sautee garlic for about 5 minutes, then add tofu to the large pan. When tofu is just beginning to get a nice brown color to it, add steak to small pan and salt each. Continue to cook each about 3 minutes, then add peas. Continue to cook on medium heat until heated through. Serve over brown rice with sesame seeds as garnish. Season with soy sauce if preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment