Saturday, February 20, 2010

Let's give it up for Lent!

You are all free to groan now at my bad pun.

I know Lent actually started three days ago, but even though I missed putting up an Ash Wednesday post, I wanted to talk about Lent, and the abstinence that many of us put ourselves through in honor of it. Christian or not, choosing to eliminate a bad or distracting influence in life in favor of contemplation and prayer can't help but yield positive results.

For example, I am a pescetarian today because last year I gave up meat for Lent. More specifically, I forced myself to destroy the mental barrier I had created between my idea of "meat" and what that meat started out as. I intentionally thought about what meat was and why I wanted to eat it, and came to the conclusion that my soul would rest easier if I didn't participate in that part of my diet anymore. I discovered that I only ate meat due to the pleasure it gave me -- frankly, steak and bacon are delicious. But they come from living things, and I decided that I don't need to take a life and cause suffering just so I can enjoy an animal's flavor. I don't have the dedication on that front that a vegetarian or vegan has, but I'm doing what I'm comfortable with.

This year's choice was less benevolent, more self-serving. I'm giving up sweets. I put on some after-holiday pudge, and I discovered in high school that the easiest way to drop excess weight and feel a whole lot healthier is to quit eating sugar. Back then I dropped about 30 pounds. I don't have nearly that much to lose now, maybe 10 at most, but I'm also trying to convert my cravings into contemplations, which is what Lent is supposed to be about. Pray instead of snacking, plan instead of dessert. It's about furthering myself through abstinence. I really don't think it matters if you're celebrating the resurrection or just trying to make yourself a stronger, better person. Last year's Lent was 40 days that changed my whole outlook, and my life, so there must be something to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment