Thursday, September 17, 2009

Protein Tidbit: Eat More Nuts

I know for a lot of vegetarians and vegans (and sometimes for us peskies too) finding new and interesting sources of protein can be difficult. There is only so much tofu one person can eat. One thing that I like to do is to sneak nuts into recipes that normally don't have any other protein-sources in them, so you don't have to find a particular dish to cook just to get protein.

EXAMPLES!

Raw sliced almonds are very delicious in fried rice. I know, the rice already has an egg in it, but when you're feeding 3-4 people, 1 egg is about 0 protein.

Walnuts go well with Italian-type dishes; anything with garlic/olive oil/pesto/alfredo type flavor is good. One of my favorites is to put walnuts in garlic-sauteed spinach.

Cashews are good in sweet-savory dishes. Anything with sweet-and-sour, gingery stir-fries, teriyaki, that ballpark.

I tend to keep at least 3, if not 4 or 5 different types of nuts in the pantry at all times to fit into various recipes. It's a good idea, I promise! That, and they're good to snack on while you're cooking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment